Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Hope in the LORD!

Sometimes it's good to know that you 're not going it alone. Well it's always good to know you're not alone but I say that specifically the fact that as believers, well often attempt to encourage each other by stating as long as you have Jesus you're never alone. Or we try to encourage ourselves by saying that we have no reason to complain and murmur specifically because we have Christ which is very true.

However where we can fall short in this kind of encouragement, is to not acknowledge Him for all that He has done and is doing in our lives. For instance, say you have a really bad day and you're quoting scriptures to yourself left and right trying your best to keep your tongue not to complain etc. Nothing you do is working until you finally speak about it to someone. They say they're going through or have been through the same and this is what the Holy Spirit led me to read.

Or a little closer to home, I got some bad news concerning something I'd been praying about for years and I'm talking 7 to be exact! Not quite ready to publicly get into the details but it was a thing where I believed (and still do) I was praying according to how the Holy Spirit was leading. It was something I was expecting to come to pass and after a few years, truth be told was hoping for some closure on but seemed like no matter how much I prayed about it, I didn't get a direct answer to the situation. When the truth of the matter was revealed to me, that's when all of the answers began to pour out. I'm fighting bitterness because I'd done all of the right things I'd known to do. I'm praying that the Holy Spirit would reveal any bitterness that I may have towards Him because one of my prayers were to not be left in the dark that He'd indeed guide me to all truth. Seemed like I was left hanging. So I found myself getting really down and discouraged yet fighting it and "trying" not to be mad a God.

The Holy Spirit led me to read Psalm 42, actually was led to hear a message given by C.J. Mahaney of Sovereign Grace Ministries, and he'd taught on Psalm 42. After the teaching I went on to read it and it says:

(copied from ESV.com)

Why Are You Cast Down, O My Soul?
To the choirmaster. A Maskil [1] of the Sons of Korah.
42:1 As a deer pants for flowing streams,so pants my soul for you, O God.2 My soul thirsts for God,for the living God.When shall I come and appear before God? [2]3 My tears have been my foodday and night,while they say to me all the day long,“Where is your God?”4 These things I remember,as I pour out my soul:how I would go with the throngand lead them in procession to the house of Godwith glad shouts and songs of praise,a multitude keeping festival.
5 Why are you cast down, O my soul,and why are you in turmoil within me?Hope in God; for I shall again praise him,my salvation [3] 6 and my God.
My soul is cast down within me;therefore I remember youfrom the land of Jordan and of Hermon,from Mount Mizar.7 Deep calls to deepat the roar of your waterfalls;all your breakers and your waveshave gone over me.8 By day the Lord commands his steadfast love,and at night his song is with me,a prayer to the God of my life.9 I say to God, my rock:“Why have you forgotten me?Why do I go mourningbecause of the oppression of the enemy?”10 As with a deadly wound in my bones,my adversaries taunt me,while they say to me all the day long,“Where is your God?”
11 Why are you cast down, O my soul,and why are you in turmoil within me?Hope in God; for I shall again praise him,my salvation and my God.

This was truly a blessing both the reading and the teaching of it, the point that stood out to me most was vs 5-6
5 Why are you cast down, O my soul,and why are you in turmoil within me?Hope in God; for I shall again praise him,my salvation [3] 6 and my God.

Let me add prior to this, the Holy Spirit had been leading me to renewing my mind. Thoughts that I'd been having and not casting down. So the thing that truly ministered here is that the psalmist says to his own soul, Hope in God!!! That simple. Sometimes it's seeking the right verse to repeat to self and that's not the wrong thing to do at all. Or calling up someone to pray, also not incorrect. However there are times when we have to learn how to get at the matter right then and there. Along with the other two mentioned above. Plain and simply if my minds aren't on the things of the Lord and I'm depressed and we're talking I've already cast my cares on Him and I'm working them over and over in my brain. Uh excuse me brain what are you thinking foolish hope in the LORD!!!

I have yet to get an exact answer to the situation that gave me a case of the blues and ya know I may never get that answers. But I'm grateful for the fact that my comforter will direct me to the details I do need and the details that will serve me well and build me up to be used for His glory. And to know even when I'm responding foolishly rather than in faith, He will still gracefully direct me to Him as being the ultimate answer. He may not always respond in the way that I'd like but if there is a no or even silence, I can rejoice in the fact of knowing He's up to something, and it'll be for my good and His glory!!

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin