Saturday, February 14, 2009

V-day


This use to be a really hard day for me as an unbeliever. The closest I'd come to having a valentine during those days was telling my daughter's dad I was pregnant. And I purposely did it on that day to enhance my pity party I was throwing for myself and reminding myself yet again I was solo on Valentine's day to top it off I'll tell the ex I'm with child.

Actually I stand corrected, another time I was down about not having a Valentine and actually as a believer, I was on the train going home from work and just thinking about it. A guy on the train selling roses walked up to me and gave me a rose. It was so pretty it was yellow and pink with glitter on it. The glitter wasn't as tacky as it may sound:) But I remember thinking wow that was the Lord, no way someone hustling flowers is going to just walk up and give one to someone and walk away, then proceed to sell the rest of them. Wasn't visibly down either as I try not to be ever.

Today I'm in a place where it's like eh. I'd love someday to say Happy Valentine's day to someone, specifically the individual I'm married to. And I now view it as nice to have that as something I haven't shared with someone else that I can share with a lifelong mate. But even if that doesn't happen I'm good. The rose that day reminded me of His love and how He'll always be the one who loves me unconditionally and at all times. That He's always giving me good gifts so what is a mere rose really. And apart from Him, no other love is truly worth anything nor can any other compare.

Don't say this as a cliche-esque thing either but as a witness of how He's come through for me in those times I'm down, rather as husband father mother brother, you name it He's true to His word if you're His, He has you and is sympathetic to all pain you go through so don't beat yourself up if you find you are down in the dumps, let the Holy Spirit minister to you and love on Him, realizing how fully satisfying He is and that you'll be alright with or without a mate rather you are male or female reading this.

Now I'm not saying don't pray for a mate, be fully satisfied in Christ alone, we're wired to be communal so nothing wrong with having a desire for folks and yes marriage too peep what God did in the beginning. But I am saying that, and because of sin, we don't always have the sort of relationships that would have flowed naturally apart from the sin nature battling to take rule in us. Therefore you may have all sorts of people forsake you yet God never will and contentment can be found in Him even when the relationships that should be just are not.

Right now I'm waiting for my daughter to finish getting dressed and we're going to hit the mall for a few and head back home, probably watch a dvd or two. And I'm grateful not to have a poked out lip about what I'm lacking but rather able to rejoice in all that I've gained and that I can fully enjoy those things on this day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen sis!!!I can relate to you. I'm glad that God loves me and will never leave or forsake me!

faith(215) said...

Amen Chakia.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin