Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Cheesesteak in review-Tony Luke's Jr


Okay since my blog has a philly focus, I thought I'd do some reviews on those things that are popular to this city and probably one of the most commonly known items is the cheese steak.


I feel the need to do a bit of a breakdown of what the cheese steak is, perhaps a bit of history even:) And the level of expectations you should have. Simply because if you make too much over it and never tried one or never tried one in Philly (oppose to some sub place Ha I laugh at the attempt!:)) you will be disappointed.


At any rate that'll come later, my 1st review is of Tony Luke's jr simply because it was there that I thought of the idea for this blog. A few days ago I decided to give this place a try and I'm still training myself to have my camera with me at all times, duh forget about my camera phone too! In the future I'll try to get a shot for you when doing such reviews.
Now onto the review, this is a place I'd avoided for a while simply because this is one of the recommended spots for tourists. I have yet to like a tourist spot....well maybe one exception that I'll also review in the near future. So I was hesitant to try them out. Thought it would be mad expensive too. Went in ordered a Cheese steak with American cheese (They give the options of American, provolone, and cheese wiz) and on it I got fried onions, mayo, ketchup and pickles.
I ate in but they don't give you any eat in or take out offerings, just wrapped and bagged so when I opened my steak initially I was disappointed. One look told me this wasn't going to be the business. It looked like a huge steak chopped up, thicker than I'm use to and the bread was more crispy on the outside rather than soft. But it was paid for so I took a bite, not flavorless like I thought it would be yet not blown away. However just a few more bites into it and I was quite pleased. The meat was actually very fresh and didn't taste rubbery like I thought it may, according to their menu they use "freshly sliced, rib-eye. The bread although somewhat hard to bite into, the crunchy outside added to it and the actually bread itself was nice and soft. The ketchup, mayo, cheese, pickles well what really can be said, the basis but they did indeed add the flavor I look for in a cheese steak.
I'll have to create some sort of rating thingie on here but for now I'd say I'd give Tony Jr's a 3 1/2 out of a 5.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin