Monday, December 29, 2008

How should a husband and wife manage having opposite sex-drives?

I came across this article via Desiring God's Twitter page I believe and the title caught my attention. Although I'm not married myself, I enjoy reading these sort of things for when/if I marry, as well as passing along to those that are married. I love how candid John Piper is when it comes to the sex topic and often surprised. Don't know why I expect less because the bible is candid in spite of how veiled many want to believe the topic should be or themselves fear it.

His short answer to the above question is 1 Corinthians 7 which says (in short can read full verse on blog) Do not withhold from each other your conjugal rights. This was one of my favorite verses as a new Christian. Because society likes to have well society:) believe that sex is for men women tolerate, put up with, and maybe enjoy but they don't have the drive that a male does or she doesn't get the same satisfaction as he does which is false. So to read Paul letting not just the men but the women know that her husband's body is for her it was like okay praise God:) And let me add not married abstinent for over 12 years and do not recommend tasting this gift outside of God's plan. Aside from all the pain associated with sex out of wedlock, the sin against God is not worth it and can lead to many struggles both in marriage and as you wait to marry. But that's another topic.

Back to the topic, belonging to one another is not about either in the relationship having their way as they please so much as it is about being their for the other persons pleasure as in I should desire to submit in that area to my husband not merely go off of how I feel about having sex at that moment. Where as society teaches the opposite, it's your body to do as you please so if you want to manipulate your husband by withholding sex from him because he didn't do something you wanted him to do by all means. Or if you don't like sex you don't have to address the issue it's your body you don't have to participate in the act if you don't want to. Then when an affair is had, the one withholding feels like a victim rather than a co-conspirator. I love how God's plans seek to be of good for both parties involved. Telling married couples to not withhold from one another except for mutual consent to commit to fasting and prayer and then come together again so that Satan doesn't get up in there with temptation, my paraphrased version peep verse in 1 Corinthians 7:5. And Piper ties it together in the article to show how it's a selfless act, not one to treat each other as tools to fulfill a personal need but to enjoy one another and seek one another's satisfaction.

At any rate, check out the article by piper here: http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/AskPastorJohn/ByTopic/12/3459/

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin