Sunday, January 11, 2009

Gotta have faith

I love this translation of Hebrews 11:1 in the ESV, I'm sitting here reading my ESV study bible online and decided to look up their translation for this passage and it says:

Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

It gets no plainer than that! Meaning you're certain that the thing you're hoping from although not seen, exists or will come to pass. IE as believers we know Jesus Christ is the promised Messiah and that His word is true and every promise spoken in the bible will come to pass.

I had a coworker say to me once, I believe it was in relation to her being let go from the job, was a temp there for some years. She said to me I may not have faith like you but I have some faith and I believe I'll come out of this. My reply to her was you either have faith or you don't. And let me add to that I'd witnessed to her several times prior to this which is what led her to speak on my faith.

She wasn't speaking on having a measure of faith outlined in Romans 12:3, it was a sometimes I believe in Jesus although I haven't gotten to where you are concerning Him. Concerning a need for salvation that's not a bad thing to admit. Concerning being able to call on Him as Lord over my life, not so much.

We have to have a confident faith in Him, confidence doesn't mean believing real hard that He is Lord but knowing He is. OR not because I believe it it's true but it's true rather I believe it or not. I know there are some elements in God's word that I may not be a fan of LOL but that doesn't give me permission to claim as false or to not adhere to what's being said because I feel it should be this way instead. I obey because I know who's saying it and that He's saying it to me, not even simply on the basis of it being true. It's true that my job has great benefits but folks not employed there can't claim them simply because they believe me when I tell them about them. Or I could even believe my job has great bennies and not take advantage of them all the days of my being there. So it's not just having a mind understanding of what is true it's being in a position to walk in it and then doing so as well.

That's a blessing man, to know that we aren't a people who "blindly follow a book" as I've heard some unbelievers say in the past. But we have assurance that the One who died for us is real and still living! And we will indeed see Him when the Father says it's time.

Grateful to my Lord the faith He has given me.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin