Friday, April 3, 2009

Fireproof-The Book

So I'm reading the book version of Fireproof and not sure how that came about LOL. I believe I saw it in Borders and I'm always seeing a movie of something and thinking I want to read the book to get all of the extra details that have to be cut out to make the movie 2 hrs or less.

And for the 1st time I've actually brought the book that went with the movie. It's pretty good, reads almost identical to the movie except for those cut out parts I've mentioned. Yet for some reason the details of it, especially the strained marriage hit home that much harder. Not sure if it's the additional details to the story or the way reading books causes you to envision/think more on what's going on in the story or what. But I often times say to myself, when I really desire marriage that everyday won't be a picnic. And purposely seek to examine things that I could bring into a marriage that would cause it damage or that I feel would effect me to my core to the point of hating a man I once loved.

These are things that I do not exclusive to wanting to be married but as a believer. Yet I think on this specific to desiring marriage because it's easy to see it either for what it's not and will not be, or not seeing it for what it could be. For example I don't want to take on a bunch of fears of what could occur in marriage. However I don't want to be naive to the fact that the man that I marry that's attentive for instance, that that could change and my response shouldn't be to become hard hearted towards him but to love him anyway, communicate the issue with him if he doesn't receive it pray for him and communicate it to my LORD.

So it makes me think on the importance of these sort of things not just the beauty of having that companionship or how we'll serve the Lord together and all of those things that are good but will be likely to require some work.

I can also see more clearly the work that the Lord did in them, certain parts of the movie that were silent the book gives voice to. Like what the wife was thinking when she marched out of the room after her husband cooked dinner for the two of them and things like that. Shows the process of how the unregenerate mind operates. We're so self focus in our flesh that we cannot even recognize good for seeing bad and how we were wronged. Just very sobering for me as a believer how I can become blinded by offenses oppose to recognizing the need to forgive.

A good read thus far, still reading and definitely recommend for anyone that hasn't seen the movie to read this first if considering both. Well I guess depends on which would be worse feeling like you're watching the movie for a second time due to what you've read or like you're reading what you've already seen so takes away from it.

Yet I think doing both is beneficial, at least I've found it to be a huge eye opener

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. Sometimes I'd rather read a book than to see a movie.

faith(215) said...

No problem Chakia, yeah I hear you, a book add so much more than a movie can rightly communicate IMO. Yet when I read one I'm always trying to picture it in movie form:)

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin