Friday, April 10, 2009

Daughter's Venture

So about that venture I'm helping my daughter start off, this is so apropos (hold that's spelled correctly:)) as I'm having such an entrepreneurial day:) Anyway before I get sidetracked that's another post for another day. I've been wanting to start a soap business company for my daughter for some time now. The primary hold up being age, would she be able to handle it at a young age? Not even speaking about the responsibility of it, beauty of this sort of venture she could have a few clients and stick with that, making soaps for them as needed. Or as simple as making soaps only during holiday seasons that would cause someone to want to buy it.

But speaking on maturity will she only see money or will she see the various lessons I feel she could learn in doing this. So many youth in the neighborhood we live in don't get the opportunities to know what's out there for them to do apart from a program getting a hold of them and showing them the way so to speak. And nothing wrong with that but that sort of thing is just an eye opener to the sort of things I should be doing as parent at home. This venture is more about teaching her entrepreneurship skills, giving both in giving away that which she could have profited from, as well as when she does profit, giving at church, setting up fundraisers etc.

Or even when the money had isn't profit but what only covers expenses, giving in spite of that fact. Also want her to know what it is to pay bills at an early age, may (of course depends on what this business generates) have her pay for web hosting or something which would most likely be free through a family member so have them charge something that's not outrageous but gives her the picture of what has to be taken care of. Also keeping deadlines, work ethic etc. She used her own start up capital to buy supplies that were used in testing. I told her she'll need to do record keeping to keep up with it and figure out how much she'll need to sell each bar for in order to make a profit.

Which also brings to mind, needed to be sure she was at an age where she could handle the disappointment of the ups and downs of having your own business.

Also want to encouraged those things in her that she likes to do, not forcing this on her but asked if she'd be interested and told her the responsibilities of it and so we're going to start of with something small.

I think she's ready and we'll start really small. Right now helping her come up with the different soaps, will have to get appropriate licenses for her to be able to sell, and other details after and she'll be good to go.

She's at a very interested age right now which requires much patience on my part. So praying the Lord would give me said patience, and also utilize this experience to further cultivate our relationships. I look at how little time I have now to pour into her. Not that motherhood stops but it has yet to show who she'll be when she's out the doors on her own. So praying that I use this time wisely and that she's one of the ones out of high school that can't imagine turning away from the Lord. And not because mom said so but because He's revealed Himself to her and that she is indeed good ground. Looking forward to reading some of the parenting books suggested recently it's sad because many a day I've said I would invest in more books in relation to this topic and have yet to do so. Have God's word indeed and He is faithful in revealing things to me yet sometimes said revealing comes through something like a book (ie peep them 66 books LOL:)) so I know I'm missing out on loads of wisdom that He's shown other parents, and especially being a single mom.

I tell people I'm not mom and dad I'm mom and God is true to His word, He's Father to the Fatherless. But wisdom gained in that is what I don't get to see. I knew my dad but didn't know him while married to my mom and visited him oppose to being reared daily by him and even in the visiting, there was disfunction. Praise God for His being a restorer!!! And it makes me all the more want to know His ways, just like with studying marriage even if I don't marry I want to be on point in knowing what biblical marriage entails/looks like. Same here even if my daughter never knows what it is to call someone dad, I want to teach her what a dad is should look like biblically. And aways praying that she's shaped by that, not her reality of not knowing her own.

So praise God excited to get my hands on those books and will be doing reviews on here. And managed to tie two topics in one blog after all so I'll end with that:)

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin