Thursday, May 7, 2009

Yummy Salmon Cakes



I brought some salmon a week ago and put it in the freezer, not sure of what I wanted to do with it. Wanted to do something different than my norm of putting some garlic on it and a we bit of EVOO and baking it. So was pleased when I came across this recipe for salmon cakes. Made on Tuesday and they are so so good. Actually this has been the dinner meal for the week coupled with some sauteed spinach and corn Tuesday, and Near East Rice on Wed. Forget what I had on Monday now:)

The first batch I made was a we bit interesting because my blender/food processor broke, well the blade did so I cut the salmon into fine pieces but it still ended up pretty chunky but still good. Yesterday I went out and invested in a small chopper and I love this thing, may work a little too well as I used it to chop my peppers and it turned it into mush. Needed to do less pulsing than I did however it did put me in the mind of making Roasted Pepper pesto and Sundried Tomato pesto rather than buying it! So I'm looking forward to that.

Anyway so last night's salmon caked turned out really well being the proper consistency and all. They still broke apart a little because the binding agent in these is mustard rather than mayo and egg which is good and can deal with a little crumble to save on the calories and fat......just dawned on me mines were probably a wee bit too mushy from the peppers oppose to breaking apart due to not enough of a binding agent.

In other news, I've begun carrying my camera around so that I can begin documenting my food (and other) pics. Now I just have to remember to pull it out when I'm eating:)

For the recipe to the salmon cakes visit you will need to click within the post there to get to the recipe. However there are other really good recipes on this site so figured I'd direct everyone to the source first.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Salmon cakes sound really good. I have a hard time fitting fish and seafood into my diet. I don't know why, but I would like to start. Maybe I'll try these.

faith(215) said...

I do also, I think it's due to the cost for me or like a few times recently, put it in the fridge and having it go back like in no time. Having to remember to take it out of the freezer the day I'll eat it only.

But I love it and will be making more of it, especially warm don't want to cook much or want a lot of heaviness in me stomach nights:).

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I'm blessed to have a dollar store that sells a pieces of salmon (and other fish) for just one dollar! So I take advantage of it when they have it.

faith(215) said...

That's cool Chakia, I don't have one of those type of dollar stores near me but I am seeking to get a bj/sam's club membership. I brought this huge pack of tilapia I forget the cost but pennies compared to when I get it at my usual spot.

Not sure what happened to the link I'd had up here either ladies. Will seach it out and repost.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin